Thursday, September 6, 2012

Serenity. Courage. Wisdom.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things that I cannot change; the courage to accept the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference. - Reinhold Niebuhr

I know some people may recognize The Serenity Prayer as the mantra of Alcoholics Anonymous or maybe another 12-step program for addicts in recovery. I'm not recovering from any addiction. At least not one of the alcohol or opiate variety. No, I don't think you have to stop getting drunk or high to have an understanding of what Dr. Niebuhr was saying. I believe that we all are recovering from something. 

It could be heartbreak, sickness, depression, a loss. We all have experienced something that changes our lives in a way that makes us question the way that we've done things before, and recognize that a change needs to be made.

Such a simple prayer. But it means so much. Well at least it does to me. Whenever I'm having a difficult time I repeat it. I'm a bit of a control freak. In my perfect world I would be able to decide the outcome of every situation that I encounter. There would be nothing but happy endings, rainbows, and butterflies. 

I know that's not realistic. Everyday I struggle with this.  And that's why I say this prayer. I have to remind myself constantly that I'm not in control. 

Serenity. Courage. Wisdom.

I don't want to feel pain. Pain sucks. But I have felt it. Sometimes it's hurt so bad that it felt like my soul was on fire. I didn't want to go any further because I knew that the pain would go with me. I just wanted to lay down and be still. I don't know if any of you can relate to that kind of hurt, but I'm pretty sure that there is at least one person out there that can. It took me a LONG time to figure out that I couldn't let that pain dictate my life.

I prayed and found serenity. I learned to forgive myself and the person/people that hurt me. I couldn't have peace as long as I held on to grudges. Letting go was cleansing. 

I found courage in my new found ability to move forward. Instead of living in fear of being hurt I look forward to healing. I no longer shy away from new experiences that remind me of past pain. I battle anxiety for some of these things, but I try not to back down.

I've learned that there is a lesson in everything. Even what feels like the worst thing to ever happen in life happened for a reason. There is nothing that you will go through that you can't learn something from. Wisdom.

Serenity. Courage. Wisdom. 

Three words that changed my life. Three words that continue to help me grow daily. 


No comments:

Post a Comment