Friday, September 14, 2012

30 Day Writing Challenge: Day 9 - What Do You Like Most About Yourself?

I swear all these years I been paying for therapy, I could have been doing a damn writing challenge. Imagine that.

The thing that I like most about myself is my ability to find something funny in just about any situation. For me laughter is as therapeutic as any antidepressant that a doctor can prescribe. I know some people don't think that it's appropriate to laugh at some situations, but I've never been accused at being an appropriate person so....

I guess it's best that I give you some examples of what I'm talking about.

So, I'm always laughing in church. I know what you're thinking. You're thinking "Girl, you should be paying attention to The Word!" Well, I do that too. Multitasking is kind of a hobby of mine. Anyway, church is one of the most stellar people watching locations you can find. There's always somebody on the Mother Board who can't carry the weight of her Titanic sized hat, so she's got a sideways type of lean going on. There's always that member that catches the Holy Ghost at exactly 11:45 and runs 3 laps around the church, with occasional breaks to see who's watching. And don't even get me started on the epic shade that occurs in the choir stand!! Those singing angels stay passing out side-eyes, rolled eyes, sneers, and sucked teeth. So yeah, all of that is funny to me. I pay extra tithes and offering because I feel like I should be paying for the show.

I think I'm most famous for laughing at a very serious spoken word presentation back in 1998. It was during the Miss Black UK pageant.

The lights were dim. There may have been candles and somebody banging on some bongos. The whole crowd was quiet. The contestant walks out dressed like Cheetara with a little black Cabbage Patch baby tied to her back. She proceeds to stand up there and utter the single most wackest poem I'd heard up to that point in my young life. "Can I Make Love To You?" No ma'am. You may not. I'm not sure how she tied her African bush theme to the poem. I didn't even give a shit. I laughed until I cried. Man listen. Real tears. But I was the only person in a room full of hundreds who seemed to have been moved that way. Apparently it was rude. I was supposed to wait until I was in the comfort of my own dorm to tear the poor girl to shreds.  You know, like all of the other shady people. Oh well.

So yeah, I laugh at all of the wrong stuff.  And I like that about myself. I guess you could call me an asshole. I don't really care.


No comments:

Post a Comment