Wednesday, September 19, 2012

30 Day Writing Challenge: Day 14 - Dream Wedding

Most girls dream of the wedding where they get to dress up like a Princess and meet Prince Charming at the end of the aisle.

Well, I did that 11 years ago.  And let me tell you something people.  It was the biggest damn headache of my life!! 

Almost 2 years of planning culminated into an event with over 400 guests, about 100 of them uninvited. There were almost 20 people in the wedding party to keep track of. A soloist didn't show up.  There was a monsoon.  The ring bearer hid the pillow so he wouldn't have to walk down the aisle.  One of my bridesmaids didn't get a French Manicure as requested. My father refused to remove his Blue Blockers.  I didn't get to eat any of the delicious food that I'd carefully selected because of my nerves and people kept talking to me. 

By the end of the night my nerves were fried!! All that meeting and greeting.  People I barely knew touching me and talking to me.  I don't know what I was thinking when I said I wanted a big wedding.  Hubby just wanted to go to the Justice of the Peace or Vegas.  The thought was an affront to my betrothed Southern sensibilities.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd hop on a plane and disappear.

So my dream wedding? Me, the man I love, and a clergy man.  Alone on a beach with white sand and turquoise water.  Wearing white linen and no shoes.  I may or may not be drunk.  The end.  I don't have time for theatrics and shenanigans. My dream wedding is about US, not the show that we can put on for everybody else.

Yep, next time it will be simpler. No anxiety attacks or Bridezilla-esque emotional breakdowns. Just us, Jesus, and an ocean breeze. Sweet.


No comments:

Post a Comment