Tuesday, September 18, 2012

30 Day Writing Challenge: Day 13 - Favorite Movies

I love movies.  In my opinion there is nothing better that sitting at home on the weekend with a mixing bowl full of Haribo, an ice cold Pepsi, and some popcorn watching your favorite flicks.

I like movies that bring out happy emotions.  I want to laugh and sing. I like movies that are full of action and a little bit of suspense.  

Miss me with the horror movies.  I don't play the fear games.  The last horror movie I watched was Saw. I believe the year was 2002.  I was at a friend's house and it was under duress. I've never quite recovered from that shit. I mean, I forgave my friend immediately for subjecting me to that foolishness, but I will never look at clowns, pipes, or hospitals the same again.

Since I'm a lightweight movie buff, I won't bore you with all of the movies that I love. I'll give you my top 10.

The Top 10 Best Damn Movies Ever (According to Tee) 

1. My favorite movie of all time is The Color Purple. I don't know how Stephen Spielberg managed to capture life in the rural south as awesomely as he did, but he deserves all of the awards! I know that movie by heart. Every single damn word. My favorite scene? When Celie is "at home fixin' ta shave Mister"! Lawd hammercy that's some high drama for you! Yo Mister was about to get bled like a hog during slaughter. Shout out to Shug for those fleet feet! That's how you save a life homie.

2. New Jack City. This is a classic right here.  If you grew up in the inner city you revered this movie because there where characters that you knew on screen. Look, there was a time in my life when I considered Nino Brown a close and personal friend.  You can go ahead and judge me if you want, but Wesley Snipes plays the hell out of a drug dealer. I know you've seen Sugar Hill (another good movie). Oh and don't get me started on Keisha. When she murked Smitty the Jamaican and "[blew] his brains all over the sidewalk in broad daylight"? Brava Diva!!! Brava!!

3. The Five Heartbeats. When I tell you that I LIVE for this movie!! OMG! This movie is full of everything that I need. Great acting, singing, comedy, and drama at the same damn time!! I love it. So many people were overlooked for major awards in this one. Robert Townsend? Leon? MICHAEL WRIGHT? Man, listen Eddie Kane, Jr. is one of the best characters ever captured on celluloid.  You don't have to agree. I'm sure you've been wrong before.

4. The Jackson Family: An American Dream. Look, wherever you put Michael Joseph Jackson, I'm going to be there. This movie is amazeballs. I really don't have any words to describe how it makes me feel. I just love it. That is all.

5. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Now, I know this is 3 movies, but I'm lumping them all together because I feel like they all are equally amazing. In case you didn't know, I'm a book nerd. So having one of my faves brought to life in such an awesome manner just makes my heart smile. Also, Orlando Bloom as Legolas does something wonderful to my soul. You can judge me for swooning over an elf. I'm pretty sure I don't care.

6. The Princess Bride. The love story between Wesley/The Dread Pirate Roberts and Princess Buttercup is beautiful. Also, the movie is freaking hilarious. The comedic timing in this one is stellar. Every character is played to perfection. This is one that I can watch over and over and feel like it's the first time.

7. Malcolm X. Denzel Washington should have 3 Oscars. That is all.

Thug love.
8. Paid in Full. Another hood classic that I can't get enough of. Also Mekhi Phifer as Money Makin' Mitch makes me suh-wooooon like no other. Despite the fact that the main characters are huge drug dealers, it's a really good story. A true story which makes it even better to me.

9. Coming to America. Hands down one of the funniest movies ever made. This is when Eddie Murphy was at his best. Prince Akeem and his homeboy Semmi's shenanigans in Queens, NYC are the stuff of legend. Non-stop laughter from beginning to end. Also, please be advised that is is nothing for me to start singing this little ditty at the top of my lungs wherever I am. Best. Song. Ever. Oha DID THAT.

10. The Temptations. Another awesome movie about the life of a spectacular music group. What makes this movie a favorite is Leon as David Ruffin. Talk about a stand out performance! Wooo! Everytime I say the phrase "you ungrateful sonsabitches!" I try to channel Leon. Outstanding.

Okay, so that's my top 10. I'm going to go watch a few of them now.

No comments:

Post a Comment