Thursday, September 6, 2012

30 Day Writing Challenge: Day 1 - My Favorite Things

Day 1 of the writing challenge. Assignment - 20 of My Favorite Things.

This should be easy. I'm always making lists about something. Usually about things I hate or that get on my nerves, this is a delightful change.

These are in no particular order.

  1.  My son's laughter. Nothing brings me more joy that listening to this sound. There's so much freedom and unbridled happiness in it. He's an only child so he's skilled at making himself laugh. Then there's the shenanigans on The Regular Show. Oh and when he thinks he's parents do something uncool or stupid.  Yeah, he's always laughing. I love it.
  2. Air Max 90/95. I'm obsessed with these shoes. I collect 90s and 95s like some folks collect coins. Here's why: in 1990 and 1995 I couldn't get them because my feet were too small, the kid's shoes didn't have the patented Nike air pockets that I'm so enamored with. Call me crazy if you want, but I'm making up for lost time.
  3. Handbags. Another obsession. I can't really even explain how a new bag makes me feel.  Pulling something made of soft, buttery leather out of a dust bag is just...awesome. Angels sing and baby Jesus smiles. There's just no better feeling.
  4. Music. My taste in music is pretty eclectic. My iPod is filled with selections from The Dixie Chicks to A$AP Rocky. I like old school R&B the most. That music had so much feeling behind it.  When Marvin Gaye or The Temptations sang about love you believed it. Frankie Beverly gives me happy feelings. Jeremih? Not so much.
  5. Maury Povich Baby Daddy Shows. Man listen.  These shows give me LIFE!! I know, I know some folks will say that I shouldn't support the how MP takes advantage of the poor, loose women who continue to come on the show trying to identify their sperm donors, but I can't give it up. Watching a young man hit his dougie or a mean pop-lock combo when he finds out he doesn't have to commit to 18 years of child support makes my heart smile. 
  6. Musicals. Yep, I love them. In my opinion there is nothing better than watching people randomly break out in song and dance. I pretty much have lived my life imagining that my life is like a musical. I've assigned certain songs to go with certain moments.  Judge me if you want, I'll be over here chilling with these jazz hands and this kick-ball-change move of perfection.
  7. Movies. I'll watch anything that doesn't involve scaring the piss out of me. I'm not into that kind of torture. 
  8. Nail polish. I'm a former nail biter. Getting regular manicures saved my hands. I love bright, pretty colors. Zoya and OPI are my go to brands.
  9. Reading. My goal is to read one book a week. I usually read more. I'm a speed reader so getting through them isn't really an issue.
  10. Ratchetness. I really can't explain it. Go here for more information. 
  11. Cupcakes. You give me a cupcake and I will love you for life. End of story.
  12. Haribo Gummi Bears. I honestly believe that this is the manna from heaven that they talk about in the Bible. Only the Good Lord's hands could create such perfection.
  13. Pedicures. My regular pedicurist is Tom Phan. Tom has hands have been blessed for God. That man can give you a foot and calf massage that will make you want to kiss him.  I don't kiss him, but I tip him really well. I'm pretty sure they just call my money his youngest child's scholarship fund.
  14. Criminal Minds. I'm already a devout follower of the stranger danger doctrine. This show has convinced me that everyone is an unsub. I don't trust nunya!! But I can't look away. Not even when some loon serves up his victims at the church chili stand. 
  15. NCIS. Mark Harmon is a fine piece. 
  16. Suburban living. I was raised in an urban area. The burbs are so much better. Where else can you get your dry cleaning, tasty food, clothes shopping, taxes, and shoe cobbling done in the same plaza? Only in the burbs. So convenient. 
  17. Kindle. All of my books in one place? One-click purchasing? Words With Friends? You had me at hello Kindle.
  18. Jeans. There's nothing better than a nice pair of jeans! When you find a brand that fits you just right and makes your ass look like perfection it's like you won the lotto. Joe's Jeans does this for me. Stellar. Definitely worth the money you pay.
  19. Random information. If you ever want to know a fact of some shit that will never matter ask me. My head is so full of useless information, I'm shocked that I can have normal thoughts.
  20. Sleep. Getting 8 hours is a requirement. I choose sleep over everything. Judge me if you want. But you won't be judging any bags under my eyes. 
Well there you go. 20 of my favorite things. Took longer than I thought it would. 

No comments:

Post a Comment