Wednesday, September 26, 2012

30 Day Writing Challenge: Day 21 - Who is Your Best Friend in Life?

My best friend in life is Jesus.  He's never failed me.

But, I'm sure the question is about some earthly being, huh? I love all of my friends like they are my sisters and brothers. And like siblings we fight. We argue, curse at each other, and on occasion there may or may not be a pinch, a headlock, or a kick to the shin to get emphasize a point. I won't say that I'm the person who does these violent things.  I'm just saying that I've seen it happen with my own two eyes.

What I love about my friends is that they don't bother me.  They understand that I'm not a talker.  So, they don't inundate me with phone calls.  They know I don't provide information unless I'm ready to share.  So, they don't ask me a lot of questions.  They know I'm odd in social situations.  So, when I'm invited to functions they make sure that I'm comfy.  And every now and again they tell me to get my weird ass out of the corner and go talk to somebody. (Shout out to Tater!)

If I had to designate someone as a BFF, I would have to chose 3 people: my sister, Nurse Betty; my homie, The Good Reverend Doctor; and my other homie, The Glamazon.

Me and Nurse Betty have been tight since we first met back in the Summer of 1980. I can only remember a few fights between us.  We've never really had a rocky relationship.  It's always been pretty easy breezy. In fact way back in the day, people thought we were twins. I know it's hard to imagine two people walking this Earth with a *allathis* going on, but it's true. I look up to her (mainly because she's like 7 inches taller than me) because she's had some hard times, but she still comes out of it looking like nothing ever happened.  She is one of the most intelligent and kind people I know.  And her since of humor is beyond wicked.  I love her with all of my heart.  There's absolutely nothing I wouldn't do for her.  Not saying I don't love my other siblings, but she's kinda my fave. ;-) Since I've moved we don't get to spend time together like we used to. But through phone calls, texts, visits, and FB I feel like she's close to me all the time.

My reaction to pretty much everything GRD does.
The Good Reverend Doctor is my XY bestie. I honestly don't remember how we became friends. And often these days I find myself wondering why we are friends. GRD is one of the few people who can silence me. Not because the things he says and does are so profound. Because the things that he says and does are just that foolish. He's single handedly made me believe that there is something wrong with the water in a certain part of our hometown. That or he was dropped on his head several times as a kid. Anyway, GRD has been an awesome friend to me. He gives support, encouragement, and at times a stern word to make me see that I'm not doing what I'm supposed to be doing.
He's like a brother to me.  He also owes me $25.42 for a meal that I cooked for him while in undergrad. I believe there were some lemon-pepper wings involved, but I can't be sure. Also, another $142.21electricity used while playing PlayStation when we should have been studying. He pretends like these debts don't exist. I'm considering taking him on Judge Judy or Judge Joe Brown to get my scratch. I'll keep you updated on how that goes.

The Glamazon is my ride or die homie. She knows where ALL the bodies are buried. Probably because she's the reason why most of them are in the dirt, but that's neither here nor there. Glamazon and I have been tight since high school.  Again, I'm not completely sure how the friendship started. It just did. I love The Glamazon because she gives good advice.  Whatever my problem is she can help walk me through it. She helps me see sides that I won't or can't see. And in turn, I try and do the same thing for her.  There are times when we get on each others nerves.  When that happens, we just stop talking. Months might go by without us saying a word. But when a call is made you would never know that any time has passed. Glamazon is like another sister. Honestly, there have been times in my life where I thought my parents liked her more than they liked me. You ever want somebody to run a few miles with you, cook a mean lasagna, and then demolish all of your enemies in the same day? The Glamazon is the girl for you.  She's like a secret agent that way. Unsuspecting as hell. Code name Dark Shadows.

Welp, those are my best friends. I honestly really don't like giving people that title. My friends are like my family. So, over the years I've just gotten more sisters and brothers. And I love them all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment